Here is a fun and easy-to-make suncatcher you can create in about two hours. It’s not made with sea glass, but it’s made with plastic melted beads that resemble sea glass. If you collect sea glass you can make the same suncatcher with sea glass.
Things You’ll Need
- Translucent beads. These can be bought inexpensively at craft stores like Michaels. You should also be able to find bulk plastic beads at Walmart.
- Jewelry string or some kind of string that will hold up well outside in the wind, rain and sun.
- Old metal cupcake pan that you do not want to use for baking food anymore.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place plastic beads in one layer in cupcake pan holes. The beads should fit snugly, so when they melt together there are no holes between any of the beads. You can mix and match colors for different effects. For example, you can put put just blue and green beads in one cupcake pan hole and red and yellow in another hole.
- Before placing the plastic beads in the oven, be sure to open all your windows and turn on fans. It’s important to have a good amount of ventilation. The smell of plastic melting is unpleasant, and the fumes may also be toxic.
- Place cupcake pan with beads in your oven for twenty to twenty-five minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven when the beads have melted together.
- Let cool for at least twenty-five minutes.
- When the beads are completely cooled, flip the cupcake pan over, and tap the back. The rounded melted beads should easily fall out of the pan. If they don’t, gently tap the back of the pan with a mallet.
- Drill holes in each of the plastic pieces.
- Use string to tie the pieces, and hang them from a piece of driftwood or anything else such as a decorated coat hanger.
- Hang suncatcher outside or by a window and enjoy.
Place beads snugly in one layer inside cupcake compartments in the pan.
Children love to help make suncatchers with beads, especially sorting them and placing them in a pan.
Beads should look like this when you take them out of the oven. After they cool, they should easily fall out of the pan.
You Can Also Make Different Shapes
You can use any shaped pan to melt beads and make different size suncatchers. You can even get more creative by using cookie cutters to make different shapes like seahorses, starfish and seashells.